Upset stomach remedies
People of all ages and all walks of life can suffer from an upset stomach now and then. If you have a chronic upset stomach or stomach pain that never seems to go away you should see your doctor for a medical evaluation. An occasional upset stomach is not a serious problem though and can be treated with home remedies or over the counter medications. Upset stomach remedies can help alleviate the occasional upset stomach but won’t help if the upset stomach is being caused by a medical condition.
You can try to alter your diet if you suffer from an upset stomach frequently. It could be caused by something you ate so avoiding certain foods can help prevent stomach pains from gas and bloating. There are numerous upset stomach remedies that you can try to see if they work for your individual needs. Some upset stomach remedies will work better for some people than they will for others. It all depends on your digestive system and the cause. Everyone’s digestive tract is different and what may upset one person’s stomach may not affect another person’s stomach at all.
Upset stomachs can happen for a number of reasons. It can be caused by eating a food you are allergic to or it can be caused by food poisoning. You can have an upset stomach if you have the flu. Medication you may be taking can cause an upset stomach as well. Whatever the reason, you’ll find all kinds upset stomach remedies being advised by different people. Before you try any upset stomach remedies you should try to discover the cause.
If you have the stomach flu and upset stomach or you have food poisoning you may have to just avoid eating foods until your stomach ache passes. Yes, simply not eating can be an upset stomach remedy for some people. Other people may want to try some home remedies such as:
- Eating bland foods. Try eating soups or broth and avoid spicy foods until your upset stomach goes away.
- Baking soda and water. You can mix a half teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water and sip it slowly. This will help ease gas pains and upset stomach for a lot of people, especially heartburn and indigestion. You can use this mixture as a remedy every two hours up to 7 times in a 24 hour period.
- People who have an upset stomach can try drinking spearmint or peppermint tea to ease an upset stomach. These herbs help sooth upset stomach.
- Ginger root is a good herb for upset stomach. It has been used for 2000 years or more in China as an upset stomach remedy. You can make ginger out of ginger root and drink that for an upset stomach remedy. You can also buy a bottle of ginger ale in the store and drink that to relieve upset stomach. Eating candied ginger will also relieve nausea.
- Catnip tea is also on the list of upset stomach remedies. This herb helps to calm nausea as well.
- You can buy over the counter medicines like Pepto-Bismol for an upset stomach remedy. You can buy it in liquid form or chewable tablets. Pepto-Bismol helps sooth the entire digestive tract.
- Milk of Magnesia can help relieve acid indigestion, heart burn and upset stomach.
- Chewing Tums helps some people relieve upset stomach.
- Avoid eating foods like coffee, onions, milk, cauliflower, chocolate, fried foods and baked beans which can cause upset stomach for some.
- Eat a banana if you have upset stomach. Bananas are good to sooth the digestive tract and can neutralize stomach acids that may be causing upset stomach. Bananas are also good to use if you have upset stomach along with diarrhea.
on Feb 26th, 2011 and filed under Digestive Health
You can add more information by filling following comment form.