In recent years, the number of health products and supplements which have been discovered has dramatically increased. This is primarily because many individuals from all walks of life are becoming more conscious about their health and nutrition. One of the most popularly used among these health products would be brewer’s yeast.
A type of fungus, brewer’s yeast is scientifically known as saccharomyces cervisiae and is typically grown on sugar beets or molasses. It has been primarily used in brewing beer and in baking some breads. Similar to other kinds of yeasts, brewer’s yeast would ferment carbohydrates once it comes in contact with them. This forms a froth of carbon dioxide which ferments the grains into beer and causes the bread to rise.
In its inactive form, brewer’s yeast can be used as a nutritional supplement and it has been for many decades. It offers a wide range of benefits such providing the body with much-needed vitamins and minerals including protein, B Complex vitamins, nicotinic acid, folic acid, calcium, iron, phosphorous, magnesium, sodium, potassium, copper, zinc, selenium, chromium, manganese and amino acids such as tryptophan, isoleucine, threonine, leucine, methionine, lysine, cystine, tyrosine, phenylalanine, arginine, valine, alanine, histidine, glutamic acid, aspartic acid, proline, glycine and serine. It is also classified as a probiotic or a biotherapeutic agent which can help an individual to improve his or her body’s natural microbial balance. Here are some of the other brewer’s yeast benefits.
1. Being an excellent source of chromium, an essential trace mineral, brewer’s yeast serves as an antioxidant, ridding the body of harmful toxins and free radicals. This promotes healthy cell renewal and regeneration.
2. Brewer’s yeast also has an organic compound called glucose tolerance factor or GTF, which helps the body in maintaining normal blood sugar levels. It aids the body to make use of insulin more efficiently. This is why many individuals who have diabetes use health supplements made from brewer’s yeast.
3. It also strengthens the body’s immunity against illnesses and diseases. This is primarily because brewer’s yeast is a good source of selenium, another essential trace mineral which is known to be effective in improving the functioning of the immune system and in the stimulation of antibodies.
4. The selenium in brewer’s yeast can also help in making the thyroid function more efficiently, preventing hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism and goiter.
5. Brewer’s yeast has also been recommended as a natural supplement for boosting fertility, especially in men.
6. The B complex vitamins in brewer’s yeast is effective in enhancing an individual’s physical appearance as they can improve the condition of the skin, hair and eyes. These vitamins also help in breaking down fats, carbohydrates and proteins. They are also essential in maintaining the healthy functioning of the digestive and the nervous systems.
7. The high amount of protein found in brewer’s yeast contains all the essential amino acids needed to build and repair tissues, bones, muscles and cartilage. The protein in brewer’s yeast can also help in enzyme and hormone production.
8. Studies have shown that brewer’s yeast can lower the levels of bad cholesterol or LDL while raising the levels of good cholesterol or HDL in the body. This can help in reducing the risk of several diseases such as hypertension, strokes and heart attacks.
These are just some of the brewer’s yeast benefits that may make you consider to take it as a health supplement. Brewer’s yeast comes in the form of powder, liquid, flakes and tablets, giving you the freedom to take it however you like. Make sure though that you do not get brewer’s yeast confused with the other types of yeast which is not as high in nutritional value. This yeast has a bitter taste and can be mixed into savory or sweet foods.
You could add two tablespoons of brewer’s yeast to water, popcorn, tomato juice or other natural fruit juices, soups, casseroles, shakes and smoothies, sauces, mashed potatoes and basically into anything that you eat daily. By adding just a small amount of brewer’s yeast to the food you eat and to the beverages you drink, you can make sure that your body would be able to get the health benefits offered by this amazing and nutritious yeast.
Comments are closed